The Oxford University Africa Society (AfriSoc) focuses on African affairs at the University of Oxford. The Society seeks to set the agenda for the future of the African Continent by providing a platform for students hailing from or interested in Africa to critically engage. Above all, AfriSoc is a community of change agents passionate about Africa.
Our Society came to life in 1958 and has become the platform for the discussion of African contemporary issues. It became a vibrant forum within the University at times of many African states becoming independent after decades of colonialism.
The society is an official student club of the University of Oxford (registered through the Proctor‘s Office on an annual basis).
The activities of the society are regulated by the University Standard Constitution and the Africa Society By-Laws, consolidated in this document.
Latest from the Society (see all)
- The Oxford Africa Conference is the leading interdisciplinary conference on Africa delivered by a team of Oxford students. The conference brings together heads of state, policy-makers, business leaders, academics, artists, students, and professionals to critically expand the discourse on Africa.…Read More »
- Students dressed in sub fusc pose for a picture after matriculating (credit: Africa Oxford Initiative) Dear Friends, Greetings from the Afrisoc Scholarships and Access Committee (SAC). As mentioned to some of you during orientation, this year, in continuation to the…Read More »
- Thank you to everyone who applied for the Oxford Africa Conference Co-Chair positions. We received many strong applications from a group of talented, ambitious and accomplished individuals. If your application was not successful or you would like to get involved,…Read More »
- DISCLAIMER: PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION FOR THE CONFERENCE CO-CHAIR POSITION IF YOU HAVE APPLIED FOR A POSITION ON THE AFRICA SOCIETY EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE. Applicants will not be allowed to occupy two offices (e.g. Treasurer and Conference Co-Chair) of…Read More »
- The Oxford University Africa Society is calling for applications for the following positions on the 2018-2019 Committee: Treasurer Social Secretary The powers, duties and responsibilities of these respective positions are reflected in the below extract from the Constitution and By-Laws…Read More »