The Oxford University Africa Society (AfriSoc) focuses on African affairs at the University of Oxford. The Society seeks to set the agenda for the future of the African Continent by providing a platform for students hailing from or interested in Africa to critically engage. Above all, AfriSoc is a community of change agents passionate about Africa.
Our Society came to life in 1958 and has become the platform for the discussion of African contemporary issues. It became a vibrant forum within the University at times of many African states becoming independent after decades of colonialism.
The society is an official student club of the University of Oxford (registered through the Proctor‘s Office on an annual basis).
The activities of the society are regulated by the University Standard Constitution and the Africa Society By-Laws, consolidated in this document.
Latest from the Society (see all)
- THE 2019 OXFORD AFRICA SOCIETY MENTORSHIP PROGRAMME Have you thought about applying to Oxford and want the chance to get guidance from Oxford students? Apply HERE for the Africa Society Mentorship Programme 2019. One of the primary objectives of…Read More »
- The annual Oxford Africa Conference is a vibrant and interdisciplinary platform for discussions relevant to contemporary African issues, including politics, economics, and culture. As one of the largest convening on Africa in the whole of Europe, it also provides participants…Read More »
- The Oxford Africa Society is recruiting for the following positions:● Vice President● Heads, Scholarships and Access Committee (two persons)● IT Officer All applicants must:● be matriculated students at the University of Oxford,● be registered members of the Africa Society for…Read More »
- President Papa Kojo Botsio (preferred name Pako) is a DPhil candidate from Ghana researching Education and Welfare Policies with an objective to widen access to secondary and higher education for vulnerable students. Pako has led unprecedented initiatives including the first-ever…Read More »
- We are excited to introduce you to the nominees for the 2019-2020 AfriSoc Executive Committee. These nominees will be at the Annual General Meeting on Saturday 15 June to participate in hustings and answer any questions members may have about…Read More »